The simulator curriculum plays an important role in the success of skill centers and in resident learning. A number of publications have demonstrated the importance of structured VR training curriculum and suggest that training within a proficiency-based virtual reality curriculum may reduce errors during real surgical procedures.
3D Systems is very proud to work in collaboration with key leaders in medical education and surgery to provide our worldwide customers with well thought out curricula. Within these, the simulator serves as a tool for delivering a learning experience. The curricula are intended to enhance learner motivation for an enjoyable, effective and efficient way of acquiring new skills using simulators.
- LAP Mentor Curricula -The curricula are suitable for all surgical specialties involving laparoscopic procedures, with a special focus on general surgery, bariatric surgery, gynecology and patient safety for OR nurses.
- Hyst Mentor Curriculum – In the Diagnostic and Therapeutic Hysteroscopy Course for the VirtaMed Hyst Mentor, surgeons obtain all-embracing practical skills (“best practice“) to operate successfully in gynecology.
- BRONCH Mentor Curriculum – The ‘Bronchoscopy Hands-On Training Curriculum- Basics’ is intended for physicians specializing in pulmonology, thoracic surgery, interventional pulmonology and critical care includes.
- GI Mentor Curriculum – ‘Texas Association of Surgical Skills Laboratories (TASSL) Flexible Endoscopy Training Curriculum’ is intended for those specializing in gastroenterology, general surgery, gastrointestinal surgery and internal medicine.
- URO PERC Mentor Curricula – These courses provide a clinical simulation experience for practicing urologists, residents in training and nurse practitioners. The user can practice in an enjoyable environment, using VR for learning to become more confident in undertaking flexible cystoscopy and rigid and flexible ureteroscopies.
- ANGIO Mentor Curricula – The following ANGIO Mentor curricula are suitable for various specialties involving endovascular procedures, including interventional radiology, vascular surgery, interventional cardiology, thoracic surgery.
- ARTHRO Mentor Curriculum – The ‘Fundamentals of Arthroscopic Surgery Training (FAST) Curriculum’ is intended for Orthopedic surgery residents from PGY1 through PGY3, practicing orthopedic surgeons with limited experience performing arthroscopic surgery and beginning arthroscopists.
- RobotiX Mentor – By integration of Simbionix simulators and educational content into a web based simulator curricula management system, MentorLearn Online helps training programs meet their challenge to incorporate the multidisciplinary simulator/s into their residency curriculum.
- PELVIC Mentor - nursing curricula can be found on MentorLearn for pelvic anatomy and pelvic exam training.
The ready-to-use curricula are provided as a structured method of training, and can serve as a template for program directors at other institutions, who can tailor the curriculum to the individual training needs.
- Video-based education accompanies hands-on training on simulators to provide learners with the required knowledge and to improve their understanding of the task or procedure they are learning, and help trainees to perform the task better. Additional videos can also be easily added at the institution.
- Goal-oriented skills training is achieved by following expert-derived performance goals on the chosen tasks. Within each curriculum, we bring forth the specific goals established by the authoring institution. Repetitive practice is essential for performance improvement.
The curricula series is provided via MentorLearn, at no cost, to both online and offline customers, however using MentorLearn Online provides the advantage of allowing learners toaccess the didactic materials offsite:
- Using duty hours more efficiently.
- Reading objectives, instructions, watching videos, and reviewing performances can be done elsewhere – freeing up the simulator for other residents to use.